Confidently increase your students' mobility skills.
Students with multiple disabilities have needs that we don't always learn about in our University classes. Each individual student has an array of obstacles/complications that can make it difficult to understand what they need in order to live their most independent, fulfilling lives.
For the past 11 years, I have seen this happen over and over again. It happens to all of us. We get a student who has multiple disabilities on our caseload. While we know they can accomplish so much more than they are doing right now, we aren't exactly sure how to help them get there or how to get their entire team on board.
In this study group, you will gain the knowledge and strategies that you need to effectively assess and teach children with multiple disabilities. You will have the confidence that you know what and how to assess students with multiple disabilities, how to write appropriate goals, and how work with each team member in order to help them increase their travel skills. You will be able to design Adapted Mobility Devices with ease and teach appropriate cane skills to a wide variety of students with multiple disabilities.
4 monthly live interactive webinars to help you gain the strategies you need and have your questions answered.
We will meet over Zoom to allow each person the ability to share their ideas, case study information, and ask questions.
Using effective methods to help your students with multiple impairments, you will finally begin to see your students' independence rise to it's fullest potential.
Study guides will help you plan your lessons and record your benchmark data.
Join a group of dedicated Orientation and Mobility Specialists, just like you.
Get your questions answered before our monthly meetings in our private forums.
Learn from one another as you use the teaching methods in real world situations.
Study Group Information
Credits: 6 ACVREP
Teacher: Kassy Maloney
AS AN ADDED BONUS!
(Because you would totally do this even without the credits.)
This Study Group is eligible for 6 ACVREP Credits.
1/hour of webinar and 1/2 hour per month of assignments.
+ Continuing Education Certification
We will offer a certificate of completion for this professional development. Check with your administration to make sure it complies with your professional development requirements.
Meet your teacher:
Kassandra Maloney, M.S., COMS, has been a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist for the past 11 years.
Throughout her time as an O&M Specialist, the majority of Kassy's caseload was primarily comprised of students with multiple impairments.
Kassy knows just how hard it can be to feel confident in addressing the needs of students with visual and multiple impairments. As an O&M Specialist, she developed a variety of strategies that has helped her improve her students' ability to know where they are in space and their ability to use their AMD, cane, or visual travel skills to access their environments.
Confidently teach your students with multiple impairments how to navigate in their environments and in the community.
$67 (Beta Round)
We will only be accepting 30 people in to each Study Group.
Registration announcements will be made to the interest list first, and then open to the general public.
Registration opens August 20-- September 21. Class begins September 24.
Classes will be held 9/27, 10/25, 11/15, and 12/13
at 4PM EST.*
Module 1: Assessment & Goal Writing
Interact LIVE: September 27, 2018 4PM EST*
- Discover how specific impairments affect Orientation and Mobility.
- Become proficient at assessing your students with multiple disabilities.
- Easily take informal evaluative data on each student.
- Develop appropriate goals and objectives for students with multiple disabilities.
- In this class, we will each choose a student as our case study student for the duration of the semester.
Module 2: Spatial Awareness, Body Awareness, and Orientation
Interact LIVE: October 25, 2018 4PM EST*
- Learn which impairments affect spatial awareness and why.
- Be able to help your student master orientation strategies so your students can reach their fullest potential.
- Increase your students' spatial awareness and body awareness so they know where they are in space.
Module 3: AMD + Cane Skills
Interact LIVE: November 15, 2018 4PM EST*
- Know when it is and is not appropriate to incorporate Adapted Mobility Devices in to your students' classes.
- Learn how to create Adapted Mobility Devices suitable to your students' needs.
- Learn effective strategies to teach AMD and cane techniques to students with multiple disabilities.
- Be able to role-release with your students' other teachers and parents.
Module 4: Working with the Team
+ Case Study Wrap Up
Interact LIVE: December 13, 2018 4PM EST*
- Collaborating with the team to create a transdisciplinary approach to instruction.
- Understand the power of role-releasing and how to help your team facilitate O&M skills.
- Review your Case Study findings.
*Dates and times subject to change depending upon the needs of the Study Group participants.
Join the O&M for Students with Multiple Disabilities Study Group and receive:
- Four live professional development interactive webinars to help you learn the content and get the answers to all of your questions.
- Study guides to help you assess the needs of your students, write appropriate goals, and increase their travel abilities with greater ease.
- Lifetime access to the content of the study group.
- A community of a dedicated group of Orientation and Mobility Specialists.
- The confidence to support your students' mobility skills.
$67 (Beta round only)
We will only be accepting 30 people in to each Study Group.
Registration announcements will be made to the interest list first, and then open to the general public on
Here's how it works:
1. Upon registration, you will be sent a welcome email with all of the instructions, links to your private forum and live webinars, as well as your receipt.
2. Show up to your interactive webinars. You will be emailed a Zoom link along with any handouts necessary. Our first interactive webinar will take place during the week of September 24th. If you cannot make it, you will be sent a replay. We urge you to attend the first webinar live as we cannot currently guarantee that replays will be available for CEU credit.
3. Do the work. Every month, you will have 1/2 an hour of homework. This may be a case study student or reading.
4. After each homework assignment and after each webinar, you will fill out a simple google form with your evaluation. You will be automatically emailed a Certificate of Completion and Continuing Education Credit form. You can then turn those certificates in to your administration and/or ACVREP for the appropriate credits.
5. Change your students' lives.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a study group?
A study group is a professional development opportunity where a group of O&M Specialists will gather to learn about one specific topic.
I need a W-9 filled out by you. How can I get that?
Simply request the form by using the contact form below or send me an email. Give me the information of the person who needs the form and I will send it to them within 2 business days.
Can I pay with a Purchase Order?
Yes. Use the Contact form below to request an invoice.
What is your refund policy?
We understand that life happens. If you need to request a refund, you are welcome to do so no later than 7 days prior to class starting on September 24th. That means, I need to know by September 17th.
What webinar platform do you use?
We will be using Zoom.us for these study groups. If you can't access Zoom on your computer, try accessing it on your phone via the phone numbers provided in your welcome email. Otherwise, ask your IT personnel to allow you access to Zoom.
Will we be able to ask questions on the webinars?
YES! That is exactly why we are hosting live, interactive webinars. This is OUR group. Please feel free to ask questions and share your expertise with the group.
How will we access the replays?
After each webinar, the replay will be uploaded to our private forum, where you can view it, comment, and fill out the evaluation form.
Have another question that wasn't answered?
Send me an email. I will respond within two business days.